Value Stream Mapping (VSM) is a Lean technique that creates a visual view of a process to identify waste and highlight opportunities for improvement. VSM is an excellent tool to create collaboration and communication as the exercise works best when performed by a cross-section of the stream of work being diagnosed for improvement. It's also a perfect tool to use early and frequently when you are evolving your DevOps capabilities because it allows us to focus in on The First Way - Flow.
VSM exercises help to answer these questions:
- Where are we wasting time, effort or resources?
- Are we delivering a quality product or service?
- How can we improve the flow or way of working to shorten the time to deliver a product or service?
- What feedback measures can we introduce to quickly alert us that something is wrong?
- What can we do to continue the cycle of improvement as things change either in terms of product, service or customer needs?