At Ranger4 we focus on delivering the best solutions available in the marketplace to our customers, and when we talk about Application Performance Management, we talk about AppDynamics. Gartner agree with our view of AppDynamics in the marketplace, placing them firmly in the leaders quadrant in their 2012 report. Why?
- AppDynamics is remarkably easy to deploy and is delivered as a Software as a Service with a comprehensive view of all 5 dimensions within a single consoleWhat are the 5 dimensions? Gartner defines them as follows:
- End-user experience monitoring — the capture of data about how end-to-end application availability, latency, execution correctness and quality appeared to the end user
- Runtime application architecture discovery, modeling and display — the discovery of the various software and hardware components involved in application execution, and the array of possible paths across which those components could communicate that, together, enable that involvement
- User-defined transaction profiling — the tracing of events as they occur among the components or objects as they move across the paths discovered in the second dimension, generated in response to a user's attempt to cause the application to execute what the user regards as a logical unit of work
- Component deep-dive monitoring in an application context — the fine-grained monitoring of resources consumed by and events occurring within the components discovered in the second dimension
- Analytics — the marshalling of a variety of techniques (including behavior learning engines, complex-event processing (CEP) platforms, log analysis and multidimensional database analysis) to discover meaningful and actionable patterns in the typically large datasets generated by the first four dimensions of APM"
- AppDynamics provides deep-dive and transaction tracing solutions wrapped with automated analysis provided by the analytics engine for rapid root cause analysis - automated analytics is a key differentiator for the AppDynamics solution- Integrated autoscaling technology means that dynamic workloads in hybrid and cloud environments are easily managed
- AppDynamics scales like nothing else - you can manage thousands of nodes from a single management interface. Not only that, it auto-discovers your unique application architecture and detects change as and when it happens
- Role based security means you can have hundreds of users monitoring and managing their applications whilst controlling what they can and can't see or do - and have records of change
The time to value with AppDynamics is also quite extraordinary - with an initial set up time of just a few hours, customers report fantastic ROI stories, for example:
Bob Hartley, the Principal Engineer and Development Manager at FamilySearch, estimates his saving at $4.8m over 24 months - using AppDynamics meant that he could tune the performance of his existing application and servers and negate the requirement to purchase an additional 1,200 servers.
Greg Perrott, Software Architect at Reserve Bank of New Zealand says: “With AppDynamics there has been an improvement in our ability to provide support, our ability to upgrade the system, and our ability to be more proactive. Now we’re aware of problems and can fix them before they impact the business.” He's close to being pre-emptive in his approach to support and has already reduced his Mean Time To Resolution significantly.
So what's next?