AppDynamics has been positioned as a Leader for the second time in two years in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for APM - great news for our AppDynamics customers and a recognition of their immense capability to innovate and serve a global market.
The Gartner Magic Quadrant
In case you’re not familiar with Gartner’s Magic Quadrant, here’s a quick introduction: every year, Gartner’s APM analysts conduct extensive research of every vendor that meets their qualifications, including hundreds of customer interviews. At the end of their research, they position each vendor on two axes, Completeness of Vision and Ability to Execute, and then place them accordingly on a Quadrant. Those who demonstrate market understanding on both axes are placed in the top right Leaders quadrant, where AppDynamics has appeared in both years they were able to participate.
Gartner identify five dimensions of APM:
- End-user experience monitoring
- Application topology discovery and visualization
- User-defined transaction profiling
- Application component deep dive
- IT operations analytics
Gartner have stringent inclusion rules for APM vendors including:
- Support for all of the five dimensions of APM as described above
- Deep dive monitoring capabilities including Java or .NET and provision of compiled Java or .NET code instrumentation in a production environment
- The solution must be capable of user-defined transaction profiling, IT operations analytics technologies applied to text, and metrics collected by the other four dimensions
- Customer references must be located in at least three of the following geographic locations: North America, South America, EMEA, the Asia/Pacific region and/or Japan
- A minimum of fifty customers that use the solutions product actively in a production environment
- References confirm they are monitoring a minimum of two hundred production application server instances
- An alternative SAAS delivery model is available from vendor directly
- Total revenue must have exceeded $5 million in 2012
Here at Ranger4 and our customers were delighted to see AppDynamics's industry leading capabilities recognised by Gartner in their position as a Leader for the second year running. Their position this year is further up and to the right than last year - a fact that we think reflects the phenomenal growth of the company in the last year and the increasingly widespread adoption of the product in the enterprise.
According to Gartner, AppDynamics acquired DBTuna in 2013 and launched AppDynamics for databases along with run book automation capabilities to take actions based on application monitoring data. AppDynamics has entered the mobile APM market, an emerging focus area for a growing list of APM vendors. AppDynamics Pro Edition 3.7 is the primary product offering, with a freemium version AppDynamics Lite Edition 2.0 providing value without cost to application development and application support engineers.
In addition to offering these products on premise, AppDynamics offers the identical product via SaaS delivery and sees a greater shift toward the acceptance of cloud deployment models. With a hybrid hosting approach, AppDynamics introduced APM in a box for managed service providers who want to run their own APM as a service offering.
AppDynamics Strengths Mentioned in Gartner's Report
- Leading with a deep dive and distributed transaction-tracing capability, AppDynamics provides support organisations with an analytics driven root cause analysis capability further augmented with run book automation for corrective actions to ensure high availability
- Expansion into deeper end user experience monitoring and database performance monitoring has enhanced the portfolio
- The UI has been simplified and targeted, correcting visual complexity within prior offerings
AppDynamics have shown continuous innovation in the years we have worked with them, most recently introducing market-leading capabilities around:
- End user experience monitoring
- Mobile application monitoring
- PHP deep dive support
- Continued extension of performance monitoring across the application environment
You can download a complimentary copy of the full report, by clicking the launch button below: