It's the Ranger4 #DevOpsFriday5 series - to we will hear from Liviu Faciu. Take it away Liviu!
1) How would you describe the relationship between DevOps, Agile and ITIL?
If I have a top-down view, I think ITIL is on top because it provides you the view of end results - high-quality IT Managed Services. DevOps is in the middle because it shows you how to link the major processes inside your company: business processes and engineering processes. But DevOps is not a Project Management methodology. DevOps gives you the liberty to choose any Project Management methodology you like. Agile could be that methodology.
2) Can you describe what DevOps looks like when it’s ‘done’?
For me DevOps looks like a figure with many concentric circles. In the exterior I put DevOps Business Processes. DevOps Culture is on the next internal level. And in the middle I see Development and Operations Processes.
3) What do you think are the key metrics for DevOps?
To mention just a few:
- DevOps Team Performance
- Infrastructure Performance
- Tools Performance
- Applications Performance
- Operations Performance
- Customer Satisfaction
4) What attributes constitute a culture embracing DevOps?
Once again, I mention just a few:
- Knowing the project goal
- Open communication
- Respect for one another
- Promote trust and collaboration
- Shared responsibility
5) Is Continuous Delivery the ultimate goal of DevOps? How do other ‘Continuouses’ (continuous deployment, testing, improvement etc) contribute in a DevOps transformation?
I think there is no "ultimate goal" in DevOps. I start and end with Continuous Integration (new business objectives, customer feedback, etc) until there is nothing left to integrate - then, I start a new cycle.
About Liviu: Livui has over 20 year's experience in the IT industry providing business critical solutions and services for banks, insurance companies, large corporations and telecom companies - providing DevOps Transformation Consultancy (especially automation tools, automation processes, continuous integration & continuous monitoring).
Do you have something you'd like to say about DevOps? If you would like to be featured on #DevOpsFriday5 click the button below.