Fox News is one of the largest news websites in the United States with up to a billion page views every month. New content is constantly being uploaded to its content management system (CMS) and delivered on the website via Fox's delivery system. In addition, Fox News provides an API that feeds content to other websites for distribution of its content.
- Transactions would sometimes take up to 5 minutes to return from the database, and that could have a severe impact on the rest of the application.
- Application problems were amplified with new releases or enhancements. Ryan Jairam, System Administrator at Fox News and a team of system administrators and developers would often dedicate up to 12 hours troubleshooting after a major software release.
- Upgrades in the CMS and delivery systems sometimes took a week or more of dedicated resources to stabilize the system.
Finding an APM solution that provided visibility into performance issues, even with remote web service calls.
- Reduced MTTR from weeks to less than a few hours
- Decreased number of support tickets by more than 90%
- Gained better visibility into CMS, delivery system and third party services
Challenge: Temporary solutions couldn' fix ongoing production problems